3 Rotor Rebuild

So around February 2017 it was decided with a basic map now sorted and engine seemingly run well it would be a good time to rebuild it before something let go and caused expensive damage. This had loosely been the plan all along as the true history of the engine was never known. So it was for peace of mind. If it was all still original low miles then the water seals would be getting tired if nothing else. It would also give me the chance to get a few other bits done while the engine was out such as change the gearbox for one that didn’t leak, same with the clutch cylinder and reface a couple of exhaust flange faces that had slight blows. Lots to get on with and not much time if I wanted to have the car on the road for the summer. Not to mention the fuel pressure issue I needed to get to the bottom of.

Whip and Strip

First on the agenda was of course whip the engine out.. I have done this a few times now so almost getting good! Started stripping bits off and draining everything of course.

I just got rid of most of the bulk to make it a bit lighter and easier to pull out.

Engine Out (4)Engine Out (5)

Feels such a shame to be doing this but better safe than sorry I say! I didn’t have a stand so I had a make shift engine trolley that would do the job for pulling it apart.

TearDown1 (1)TearDown1 (2)

After Stripping the remaining ancillaries off it was time to disassemble the main engine block. As I found out the 20B is kind of like two engine. It is built from front to centre and then rear to centre. So I started but pulling the front end off and working my way down.

Once you hit centre of the engine you need to split the E-shaft in half which is an interesting task in itself and the pull the engine of from the back side forward. The e-shaft is supposed to have an extravagant splitting tool but a block of wood, a lever bar and a dead blow hammer worked for me. Very carefully I might add! Then finally you are left with a garage full of bits!

 

I was glad to see the engine was in good shame really.. Expected levels of wear and tear but nothing sinister which was my main worry. I did notice a couple of the water seals looked like they were on the verge or blowing too so I was glad I hadn’t left it any longer. Plan was, I would replace all the usual bits, give it a good overhaul and get it back together as soon as I could. Just like that!

Freshen up.. Freshen up

First though the oil smelly mess needed a clean up before I could do anything with it!

Cleanup (1)Cleanup (2)

Various degreasers, some fetching marigolds and a good few days scrubbing and it all came up pretty good. Plenty of thorough cleaning of rotors and seal lands to be done that is not worth showing.. but it all takes time to get it right. A bit like painting a car in some ways. The key to a good rebuild is all in the prep. Or at least a solid foundation is!

%d bloggers like this: